POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render : Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:46:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is another "free" unbiased engine: Indigo Render
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 27 Oct 2007 04:01:48
Message: <4722f06c@news.povray.org>
> delle wrote:
>> Take a look to Indigo Render Gallery:
>
> Color me unimpressed. Maybe it's because I'm not an expert, but some of
> the sub-surface scattering stuff is the only stuff that looks particularly
> good to me. Balanced against most of their proud gallery being obnoxiously
> grainy, I don't see it as a win just from the photos.
>
> Is it possible to automatically know when a scene is good enough? Or does
> it take human intervention to say "ok, stop now and move on to the next
> frame"?

--- Indigo's Gallery ---
There is a lot of beautiful art there, no doubt.  The modeling of the
scenes is particularly good in most cases. I'm not totally convinced
at the quality of Indigo though...

Many images there are grainy, or contain grainy spots.

Many of the global illumination (radiosity) scenes had posted times
over 12 hours, when I'm sure equivalent scenes in POV would
render in less time (usually) and not be grainy.

Only a few of the glassware images even tried to reproduce any
IOR or photons, and looked particularly fake in most cases.

--- NVIDIA's Gelato Gallery ---
There's some pretty amazing scenes here that have a huge amount
of geometry.  If I wanted to trace a billion triangles I'm sure NVIDIA
cards could do it in some manner.

The global illumination here seems to suffer from being grainy,
like Indigo, maybe a little grainier.

Glassware is much better than Indigo's, good photons,
somewhat blocky edges at times.

The subsurface scattering looks nice (we should put this into POV).

Many of the images seemed saturated.

--- Maxwell's Gallery ---
Just stunning, very good in most every respect.

I did notice just a couple grainy spots, but you needed to look for
that, mostly it's not obvious.

Of course setting this package up with their modeler will set
you back about 3400 pounds... $7000

--- Maya / Mental Ray / AutoCad ---
Yes, Autodesk is now selling Maya with Mental Ray licenses.
Equivalent or better than POV in quality, with a proven
track record.